Believe it or not, the robot toys we choose, either for kids or us, can make a huge difference when it comes to mental development.
For kids, during their growing years, it is important to provide them with robotic toys that allow them to think and learn while they play. Different toys require one to use different skills levels, and therefore you need to buy one that challenges you, or your kid, to tap into different learning areas of your brain.
While any robot toy can offer great value and fun to your kid, you have to choose the best one that will suit the age level of the person you are buying for. The beauty of a robot toy is that they are double fold; they appeal to both parents and children. At their core, they’re toys, so they don’t seem like a burden or homework to kids, yet conveniently, they expand the mind and provide learning benefits.
They Make One Creative And Innovative
When playing with robot toys, kids develop reasoning, perception, and intuition as they engage in a creative activity. This sounds counter-intuitive; machine rely on mathematic principles and logical thinking making them creative companions. By using them, kids of all ages become creative as well. They also develop an interest in engineering by exploring levers, gears, sensors, motors, and programming.
They make computation thinking simple
You already know that, like many world-leading organizations, entrepreneurs, and policymakers, we are striving to teach kids computational thinking. In the last couple of years, countries, including the UK and the US, have focused on new computer curriculums to help this Mark Zuckerberg’s generation. One of the main challenges with computation thinking is that it is very abstract. This means learning the fundamentals- queue, debugging, algorithm, and recursions, without a physical interface is very hard, in fact, near impossible. But with a robot toy with you, you can learn and teach your kid computational thinking easily.
By giving kids a well-guided play experience, kids develop softer skills such as social interaction, which is dictated by social principles, values, and sentiments, emotional development, language skills. This helps them gain mental strength.
Robot toys can help kids connect their thoughts and develop their abilities to think freely. Toys that help kids boost cognitive skills include those that require one to assemble its parts and those with numbers and puzzle games.
With the right robot toys, kids develop their motor skills as well as cognitive skills.
In this review post, we have picked six of the best robot toys that will provide both fun and a firm foundation for learning, thereby giving your kid a good foundation in life. There are also robot toys for adults and teenagers. Certainly, these toys suit kids of different age groups, but we will mention that in our robot toys review.
Robot toys have been popular ever since, but with the advent of technology and great innovation, these toys are made with advanced technology and possess advanced skills; they can now do more and help your kids learn more. The Sphero R001ROW BB-8 is one of the modern robot toys that have been received well by customers. By reading its manual, this robot may seem complicated to use, but as you explore, you will learn how easy and efficient it is. With a friendly interface and great functionality, this robot toy is definitely one of the best in the market. You can control it using your mobile device- a tablet or smartphone.
Sphero R001ROW BB-8 is a fascinating robot toy for fans of the Star Wars series. You can ask BB-8 to patrol by himself, and he can interact with pets as well. It requires a relevant app to work; so ensure you have a smart device.
The sphere BB8 is more than a remote-controlled toy; its manufacturer describes it as a companion. You can even watch the Star Wars series with BB8 by your side, and you will find it reacting to some key points in the film. With this device, you can experience a holographic simulation of Star Wars on your smartphone so that you can dive deep in BB8’s world.
This robot toy has impressive features such as a 100 Ft. Bluetooth range connectivity. It can clock a top speed of approximately 5mph, and features LED lights making it super attractive. Standing at 11cm high, this robot toy is very light making it suitable for teenagers and adults. It is quite difficult for younger kids to play and work with.
The Sphero R001ROW BB-8 can interact with Sphero Star Wars droids making it a great choice for parents with more than one kid, or perhaps when dad would like one, too. The BB8 is a fascinating product that can make a perfect gift for teenager or kid aged eight and above.
You can keep your robot toy in excellent condition by purchasing a protective range from the huge range available. There are many cases specially designed for Sphero R001ROW BB-8. Casing makes your robot toy shock-proof and also waterproof to small amounts of water. Some also have small pockets where you can keep your accessories in as well as a rubber handle.
Aside from offering you toy protection, this robot listens and responds to your voice. It allows you enjoy holographic messaging technology. You don’t have to be a fan of Star Wars to enjoy this robot toy; it will take you to Star Wars Galaxy, and you will love it. With Sphero R001ROW BB-8, you will enjoy its great company. It is one of the unique toys that actually evolves depending on your interaction with it.
Stars Wars fans will love this toy because they have watched and read Star Wars on the big screen and books; now all that you have watched and read is becoming a reality. All you need is a smartphone and Bluetooth connectivity to enjoy the show as long as you are within the 100 Ft. range from the Droid.Want To View The Reviews Yourself, Click Here
- It is controlled by a smartphone app
- Can run as fast as 5mph- that translates to 7ft per second
- It is controlled by Bluetooth with a range of 100 feet
- The robot has a sturdy construction to withstand knocks and falls
- It can operate for more than an hour when its battery it fully changed
- This robot toy is compatible with both iOS and Android
- It has a cute, attractive design
- Performs three core functions- message, explore, and drive
- It is made of durable materials hence can last for a long time
- Performs as per your voice command
- It features no games
- Canine pets may mistake it for a fetch toy
The Cozmo by Anki is one of the smartest robots in the market. It is small enough to fit in the palm of your hand and still pack great features and impressively big brain. This robot toy can recognize people’s faces, play games, and learn as it goes.
Anki Cozmo Robot Toy comes with a set of three cubes used in color matching games and testing reaction time. As you play against Cozmo, it learns your techniques and adjusts its skills to suit your level. It also reacts as it beats you and will throw a little tantrum by screwing up the eyes on its LED screen.
Its inbuilt camera can learn and recognize people’s faces. He can say the name of the face out loud when he sees you, and you can also program it to say other phrases as well. You can control this robot while seeing through his camera on your tablet and smartphone screen. There are a host of coding games built in this robot to teach beginners and kids, basic programming.
Cozmo has a reactive body language, facial expression, soundtrack, and voice tones that make him an amazing companion. Its artificial intelligent gives it an interactive personality with a host of emotions that will continue to evolve as you play with him. The Cozmo app is content-rich and constantly updates so that this robot toy’s skills, personality, and games develop over time
The most outstanding feature of Anki Cozmo Robot Toy is that it is packed with personality. Cozmo is lively, fun, and vibrant, and it will tell you the game it wants to play at any given time. It also expresses emotions, reactions, and more. Although it sounds silly, you will find yourself attached to it and caring about Cozmo. It is definitely the smartest robot toy in the market with a great personality.Want To View The Reviews Yourself, Click Here
- This robot toy is constructed from over 300 durable pieces that have been carefully tested for long-lasting use
- Hobbyist, educators, and researchers can use this robot toy to learn about robotic experiences as it offers a wide range of purposes from entertainment to academia
- While users keep playing with Anki Cozmo Robot Toy, new games and upgrades are unlocked
- Based on user’s action, Cozmo expresses different emotions in response to them. These include frustrations, happiness, and calmness
- It is really fun to play games with
- This robot toy has been tested rigorously for durability and security
- It is made in such a way that the more an adult or kid hangs out with it, the more intelligent and evolved it gets regarding personality and reaction
- The device is small enough to be carried almost anywhere
- It is astonishingly playful, emotive, and smart
- Made of high-quality and durable materials
- Its face recognition ability is sometimes unpredictable
- It has a tedious process of powering it on
- Requires direct Wi-Fi connection to play games
The MiP Toy is the latest root from WowWee, one of the most popular makers of robots. It is the first of its kind on the robot market as it boasts of impressive features. This toy robot does what most robots do; rolling around your living room, bumping into things, and making cute noises as it moves around. MiP does all these things with a certain degree of style. It has plenty of clever techs that has made it stand out in this populated market of robot toys.
The robot’s balance is taken care of by powerful ARM Cortex processor and onboard sensor suite which keeps it teetering upright. However, the mechanical design of this robot is not inherently stable; when turned off, WowWee MiP Toy Robot doesn’t stand upright on its wheel. However, a handy stand is provided for display to ensure it doesn’t fall every time you switch it off.
The MiP comes with an attachable tray that allows it to carry items around while still balancing upright; this robot can even support another MiP toy, or a small bottle/can of beer. However, don’t try it with a 500ml can- this little buddy has its limits, you know.
If you have several MiPs, you can link them into a coordinated dance mode, following rhythms like a small, glowing dance group.
You can control WowWee MiP Toy Robot in some ways; through waving gestures when standing in front of it; through an iPhone or Android app, and by pre-setting its instructions.
The “GestureSense Technology” enables it to move around. When you wave your hand in front of this robot; it can also follow you. By moving your hand away slowly, this little buddy will start wheeling forward. If you move your hand towards MiP, it will give out the “Woah” sound and then go in to reverse. To stop it, you just need to put your hand up in front of it. You can also wave it right or left.
For more precise controls, you can download a smartphone app. The app allows you to drive MiP using touchscreen controls for backward, forwards, right and left. Hold down on one of the four directions, and the MiP will spin- until it gets dizzy and fall. Of course, MiP has its own mind.
When you turn the little droid’s wheel, its chest light changes color to correspond to a special MiP mode.
This robot toy is fully interactive and boasts of some of the coolest features. It was awarded in 2016 Toy Award winners.
The WowWee MiP Toy Robot features seven modes that you can play with. In the MiP Mode, you can control the direction of this robot toy with hand gestures. In Tracking Mode, this robot toy follows your legs, hands, or any object you choose- however, the object need to be nearby. In Roam Mode, MiP will explore the space around it. In Dance Mode, this robot toy will dance and play to a tune. In Tricks Mode, you can use hand gestures to create up to 50 movement commands that it will execute and remember when you clap twice. In the Cage Mode, you can keep this robot toy from escaping by use of feet, hands, or any item that can keep it contained. Finally, in Stack Mode, you can stack as many things as you can on WowWee MiP Toy Robot’s attachable tray before the time runs out.
This robot comes with an app that connects via Bluetooth. By using this app, you can control this toy in Driving Mode, watch it reacts to different emotions, watch it dance to any song in Dance Mode, play laser tag with other robots in Battle Mode, play fights in Boxing mode, see how much weight you can stack on its tray in Stack Mode, and create a custom path for this robot in Path Mode. Want To View The Reviews Yourself, Click Here
You will definitely like interacting and controlling this device. There is so much you can do with WowWee MiP Toy Robot because of its interactive and engaging personality. Your kid will have a new little buddy right out the box,
- It balances on two wheels, and your kid can interact and control it using hand movements thanks to the new GestureSenseTM technology and the associated app
- It is a self-balancing robot
- Has RGB LED eyes
- It can balance multiple objects while standing still or moving
- MiP can navigate its surrounding, follow objects around, as well as hand gestures
- It uses 4AAA batteries
- Comes with a tray that can be plugged in
- It is made of durable materials making it long-lasting
- It is well-designed
- This robot toy has an engaging and interactive personality
- It responds to physical gestures and audio tones
- It has a wide range of playing modes
- It can be quite loud
- MiP has finicky sensors
Are you looking for a perfect gift for a kid who has shown an interest in robotics? Well, if your son or daughter is so much into electronics, buy him/her OWI Robotic Arm. This robot toy will also suit people who are interested in learning how to build robots. This arm edge is an intermediate robot kit from OWI, one of the most reputable brands renowned for making educational robotic kits. It can get you started in basic electronics, mechanics, and robotics.
Don’t worry about assembling, as this kit is relatively easy to join and assemble. It helps if you have some background in electronics, but even if you don’t know anything about robots and electronics, you should be able to follow its user manual. Most of the customers who have reviewed this robot kit suggested that it can be assembled in a few.
Its arm gripper opens and closes. It can carry life weight of up to 100 grams- you can use it to lift an empty can of soda or a screwdriver. The capabilities of OWI Robotic Arm can be expanded with a USB interface cable and software, but this is not included in the package.
Has a wrist motion of 120 degrees, base rotation of 270 degrees, elbow range of 300 degrees, and base motion of 180 degrees. Should be used by adults and kids aged ten years and up and it requires no soldering during assembling.
Regarding the price, OWI Robotic Arm is relatively affordable; it won’t leave a hole in your pocket. This toy can get your kid started on the basics of robotics, which can bode well for your future programmer or engineerWant To View The Reviews Yourself, Click Here
- It is relatively affordable
- It teaches beginners and kids the basics of programming and robotics
- Has a user-friendly interface and its user manual is relatively easy to follow
- It is expandable
- Great building project for beginners and kids
- This machine is ideal for kids with an interest in electronics
- Its gripper is strong and doesn’t break easily
- There are many tutorials online on how you can connect this device to an Arduino controller
- Its LED lighting makes night time play possible with this robot
- While its parts are made of durable plastic, all its pieces are well-made and very strong
- It can prevent gear breakage and potential injury with its safety features such as audible gear indicator
- Its remote control is quite rigid with some of its buttons hard to push
- It lacks a DC adapter
- Some parts look similar to each other; therefore you have to be very careful in organizing all the parts in the order indicated in its user manual before assembling it
- This robot toy has no sensors, and so there is a chance that you could break it if you happen to push it beyond its set range of motion
- You will need some tools for assembling such as needle nose pliers, small file, and Phillips screwdriver
Designed to introduce kids aged seven years and above to robotics and coding, LEGO Boost Creative Toolbox provides building blocks with motors, sensors, and app-based coding to enable them to learn how to build robotic toys that can respond to a variety of stimuli. It offers a fun, simple, and relatively affordable approach to teaching beginners the principles of programming, making it worth its price.
This kit uses a mobile app that is compatible with Android and iOS devices. It comes with coding commands and building instructions for five creations. This kit also comes with three Boost bricks, an interactive motor, and a color-and-distance sensor. You also get 843 Lego pieces as well as a Playmat that is calibrated to the app. This helps your kid understand coding and how it relatives to robot actions.
LEGO Boost Creative Toolbox is battery powered and features tilt sensors and connections. The Hub communicates with your smartphone which you have downloaded the Boost app and let you program this kit.
The app provides instructions for building five robot projects including a robot named Frankie the Cat, Vernie, the Guitar 4000, the Multi-tooled rover-MTR4, and a vehicle that can carry little objects. You will also learn to put together the Auto builder. Each of these robots has unlockable extras and unique abilities.
The Lego pieces all come in packed plastic bags, and you have to assemble everything. Assembling this kit is easy, especially if you have a background in robotics and electronics, but even if you are new to this field, the exhaustive user manual will guide you fully.Want To View The Reviews Yourself, Click Here
- It is controlled via an app
- The app allows you to build five different robot models
- It features two encoded motors, Bluetooth Low Energy Connectivity, internal tilt sensor, activation, and a light for ease of operation
- It has an easy-to-use software that features drag-and-drop coding icons
- Pros of LEGO Boost Creative Toolbox
- It makes learning how to program fun and easier
- Uses real Lego bricks
- This robot is infinitely customizable
- Its software is not available for tablet users
This multi-awarded robot toy is one of the best toys on the market. Among its notable awards include 2015 National Parenting Gold, ISTE Best of Show for Schools, and 2015 Holiday Most Wanted List to Play Magazine. This shows how helpful this robot toy is to your kid regarding fun and educational value.
The Wonder Workshop Robot has an attractive design for kids and adults alike. It can even be displayed as part of toy robots, thanks to its eye-catching color and style. However, this is not the only reasons for its vast popularity; Wonder Workshop Robot boasts of other impressive features that make it worth a purchase.
It comes fully assembled unlike many robot kids that needs assembling; the Dash Robot comes fully assembled in its box- you don’t have to assemble dozens of parts. Before using it, you have to install Blockly and Wonder apps first. This robot kit does not require batteries thanks to its USB charging cable that is included. You just need to plug the robot into an electrical outlet and let it charge for several hours.
It is compatible with Android and Apple device; you can program and control Wonder Workshop Robot using your smartphone thereby making it more suitable for kids over the age of seven years. Make sure your chosen device (iPad, Kindle Fire, or iPhone) is equipped with Bluetooth Smart 4/LE for this robot to be programmed to perform a wide range of movements.
This robot is highly responsive as it features several sensors on its body as well as a powerful processor. The sensors allow this kit to detect objects in its path as well as run its programs and pinpoint your location. The more programs you install in this robot, the more playful it gets.
The set comes with two building brick connectors, meaning it can be connected with bricks. You can then transform it into other shapes such as a vehicle, an animal, and even a catapult.Want To View The Reviews Yourself, Click Here
- It is lightweight and can move around; it can make sounds and light up its surrounding
- Allows your children enjoy multiple apps in Wonder and Blockly apps
- It can recognize several voices
- It can be operated by both Android or iPhone devices
- Feels sturdy and strong for a long time
- It has excellent motors and features a responsive programming
- Has plenty of movements
- Introduces you and your kids to coding and programming
- Offers projects, puzzles, and challenges for endless possibilities to play
- It is great for enhancing decision-making and problem-solving skills
- The robot app is compatible with most contemporary devices
- Its games may be too simple for teenagers and adults
Robot toys have become popular among kids and adults, and are fun devices to have during the holiday season, birthdays, and special occasions. The above robot toys can be controlled via a smartphone. They are not only fun but also very educational.
Whether you want to inspire your kids to learn to programme or you want to learn to code, a smartphone-controlled robot toy is one of the best ways to start. You don’t require doing any complicated coding to have fun with any of the above six toy robots. But you can learn how to code if you want to make them do specific things.